Monday, November 7, 2016

Chill Out, America!

This is the longest, most contentious election I have every seen (about 600 days, more or less), and it sometimes seems that politics has descended into the level of monkeys throwing poo. Bad simians! Were Neanderthals so repulsive in their politics? I'm totally bummed out with this choices the general rudeness, and the nastiness. We need to spend the rest of the year getting our collective acts together; because for better or worse (hopefully better) we're going to live together.

And stop this red state - blue state crap! Guess what? We're all Americans, no matter where we live or what is our color or accent.

We celebrate Halloween, Christmas, and whatever occasion calls for a drink. We bitch about taxes and traffic, and live our lives of contentment or quiet desperation, as our mood suggests.

Last week we celebrated our true National Sport: baseball, ending with a final World Series game of legendary impact. This, folks, is America as we would like it to be. Yes, two perennial losing teams made it all the way. The winner, the Chicago Cubs, finally won after 108 seasons. 

But the other team, the Cleveland Indians, was very much a winner too!

And I think we should look at our recent election in the same way. Millions of U.S. citizens participated in our rite of continuity of government. No, we don't have hereditary kingships or queenships. Thank God. We get to vote each time. No coups, no juntas, no putsches, no shenanigans (well . . . .maybe in Chicago). And I'm confident that President and Mrs. Obama will leave the White House at the appointed time, and the new First Family settles in. Possibly with relief, who knows?

And I'm sure the process of orderly succession will continue. It's our national strength. As well as our National Experiment working.

So my thought is, it's time to chill out, to mend fences. And stop all that carping, backbiting, and acting metaphorically like those monkeys.

Have a beer, hamburgers or tacos, and enjoy sex with a spouse or friend. And thank whatever God you subscribe to that you are an American! Cause, people, we kick ass!

Don't give up on that. Don't threaten to flee to Canada or the Isle of the Blest or whatever fantasy you're into. We know you're just being full of bovine manure. Americans don't punt on first down.





10 comments:

Mike said...

I think there have been plenty of previous elections that have been as nasty. It's just that this time the internet has turned up the intensity a little bitty bit.

John A Hill said...

"... and enjoy sex with a spouse or friend."
Hmmm...?

Interesting suggestion, Angel!

Birgit said...

You are so right about monkeys throwing poo-this is how the election truly does look like. I am keeping my fingers crossed for tomorrow but, thankfully, it is almost at an end...I hope. By the way, my ex showed me a report that shocked me-Trump has to go to court for rape charges!It is not in the media because Hilary nor anyone else have talked about it. It seems trump is/was friends with this man who would have parties for big names and have under age gals there. a 13 yr old was picked by trump to have sex and they did 3 times but then he apparently, tied her up to the bed and raped her. There is also a 12 yr old. I read the report and if I knew how to find it, i would give you the link. My ex always checks things out to make sure it is not bull. Scary isn't it?

Gorilla Bananas said...

It's a nice sentiment, Ms Pop Tart, but I fear there are now two Americas. The only solution may be what Mr Bulworth said: "Everybody just gotta keep fuckin' everybody 'til they're all the same color."

TexWisGirl said...

i want to get to wednesday in peace.

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

The media stokes up unrest and discontentment for filthy lucre.

Brandi said...

Americans don't punt on first down. I could not have said it better!

John Holton said...

This was beautiful. I referenced it in my post for tomorrow, and linked back to you.

John

The Sound of One Hand Typing

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Thanks for thec kind words, John Holton. Glad you visited my site.

Do you approve, John Hill?

Mike, Brigit, and Elvis, I totally agree with you.

TexWisGirl, just peace in our time. Wednesday is a good delivery day.

Gorilla, you might have a solution there. As long as it's literal.

John A Hill said...

I don't think my wife would approve if I chose a friend...
Actually,I not sure that I have any willing friends.