Wednesday, July 6, 2016

"Dropkick Me, Jesus: BOTB results

The old Bobby Bare classic, "Dropkick Me Jesus Through the Goalposts of Life" was my Battle of the Bands offering for early July, 2016. This song has been around for quite a spell; and several different artists have taken a shot at it, with different results. Not surprising; country music has always had a ironic twist to it that would cause latter-day ironists like Alainis Morrisette to be envious! 

The song is a risky one; some people might cringe at the metaphor; but I did point our that John Donne and Gerard Manley Hopkins also strayed into such territory, There's a YouTube video of some Baptist Church singing along to it at a Pre-Superbowl Service. (There's a practicality there: if you can't beat 'em, then join 'em!) Plus they were having big fun!

Anyway, here's the final tally:

Blackwood Creek     10

Jesse and the James Gang   4

George Posseley      4

Blackwood Creek is this month's winner!



9 comments:

Chuck the Grumpy Cat said...

They were the best!

Kristen Drittsekkdatter said...

The song is a bit offensive.

TexWisGirl said...

yay!

Cloudia said...

Glad we got to the bottom of THAT, Angel!

John A Hill said...

Well done, Angel!

Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer said...

Great BOTB.

Birgit said...

Actually this was a fun battle and now I have to remind myself whom I voted for..hahahaaa- menopausal brain

Arlee Bird said...

Hard to beat a good bluegrass band when they're up against country artists. I called this one right.

I've got my results posted as well.

Arlee Bird
Tossing It Out

Stephen T. McCarthy said...

Looks like I win again. *yawn*

~ D-FensDogG
'Loyal American Underground'