Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Chainsaw Sculpture Art

In the fringe areas around the Smoky Mountains, there's a number of artisans turning out local crafts.  One form that it may take is effecting a sculpture primarily using a chainsaw. The products of this craft vary in quality; some ascending into the artistic; some remaining firmly on the kitsch. Same as in other expressive media.

A common example of such a carving is that of some woodland creature:




Dogs, of course, are a common motif:



Naturalistic abstractions are occasionally seen:


A mythical creature is always a conversation piece:



Trolls come en masse; without benefit of bridge to hide under, so they have to hide in trees.



And, surprisingly, considering it's rustic art, some nudes. They ones I've seen tend to be quite lewd. Not appropriate for a suburban backyard. You're on your own to see some examples.

For some, these can be souvenirs of a wonderful vacation in the Smokies; for others, there's the sense afterward of 'What were we thinking?'

I'll be on a break for a while. Thanks for reading my blog. I appreciate you all, gentle readers. Let the good times roll.



7 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

i love the pileated woodpecker. :) enjoy your break!

John A Hill said...

I will miss you, Angel. I wish you and yours the happiest of holidays and a very joyous Christmas.
Enjoy your break.
My grandma used to always say, "Take your time going, but hurry back!"
Already looking forward to your return.

Gorilla Bananas said...

Did I just see a wooden woodpecker? That's got to be some kind of joke, right? "Peck yourself, Woody!" might be a good caption.

Mike said...

We'll be waiting with baited breath for your return.

Cloudia said...

Good intro to the topic!





Warm ALOHA,
ComfortSpiral

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_('')

allenwoodhaven said...

The woodpecker is very creative. I see them occasionally, mostly bears.

Enjoy your break. I'll be checking to see when you're back. It's always worthwhile to read your posts!

Bilbo said...

There's a neat sculpture in the city gardens in Singen, Germany ... a tree was cut down and the stump carved into the shape of a beaver gnawing on the tree! I posted in in my blog a long time ago.