Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Clotilde at the Shore

Clotilde loved to vacation at St. Yves in the off-season. She enjoyed the delicious sensation of having a lot of room and quiet for her thoughts and avoiding the madding crowd. She worked on her tan, and read a typical summer book even though it was not that season. Still, she was away from the reporters and paparazzi, even though it was a little bit cool.

With time, a number of gulls flocked around her, assuming that she could be about to cast some bread or gull feed along the road or beach. After all, the lazy gull does not get a meal!

But in this setting rendered noisy now by the birds, Clotilde had time to reflect that she had not a lover, and she felt the pangs of loneliness. Or maybe it was ennui! Models have busy lives; and some have lovers as well. But Clotilde did not meet anyone while in the bustling fashion world because the pace of life was so hectic there. And the people were in many cases so phony!

Clotilde shed a tear of loneliness.  "Stop", she thought to herself. "This is so self-indulgent, I need to get a grip or something. Or find some amusement."

Just then a stranger approached and asked about the birds. He seemed pleasant and unassuming.

"Hi, I'm Pete. And you?"

"Clotilde."

"Do you often come here, or are you on a holiday?"

"A holiday. And you?  What are your interests?"

"I like music and engineering. But I also like quiet walks with pretty ladies."

"Do I qualify for a walk? I am in need of company."

So they walked and conversed. And afterwards they drank pastis at a tavern. And passed an enjoyable afternoon.

Pete asked Clotilde, "May I see you again?"

"I would love it."

"You never told me many details about yourself. Are you married? And what do you do?"

"Ah, fortunately, I am not married. And I am a mannekin by trade."

"Tommorow at this time then?"

"Bientot"

Clotilde mused that one is more optimistic and joyful if one has the possibility of love.  This was turning out to be a great vacation when one has someone to look share it with!



15 comments:

Elvis Wearing a Bra on His Head said...

Very nice story.

TexWisGirl said...

well, a happy beginning to them, then. :)

Mike said...

"I like music and engineering. But I also like quiet walks with pretty ladies."

HEY! Me too.

Cloudia said...

Angel- you can write. Take this somewhere sexy and you can make $$$$ too!



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3

Clarissa said...

Sexy is the way to go!

Linda Kay said...

Thanks for stopping by and posting your story. Such fun, and so enticing!

Big Sky Heidi said...

I like your story. Will you use Clotilde again?

Cherdo said...

A mannequin by trade...nice!

Anita Sabat said...

Well expressed.
The last line is so true!

Sinner Bob said...

This was a real gem!

Dixie@dcrelief said...

I'm with Cherdo, on that mannequin thingy!

Bilbo said...

I guess I have to be the third person to say I loved the "mannequin by trade" comment. It was a classic!

Patricia said...

Sounds like the vacation could get steamy.

Josie Two Shoes said...

It definitely sounds like this holiday might be much more interesting than the ones she has known before! But if he is really a mannequin this tale has much more to tell!

bakku-shan said...

My guess is that Pete would have her in the sack the very next time.