Friday, January 16, 2015

Pushing a Better Foundation


For some unfathomable reason, some clerks in stores think that they can bulldoze teen girls into making purchases. They know little about human nature. Here's an example of what not to do:

When we were teens, my friend and I were out shopping for makeup together. We decided to go into this store to check if they still were selling the same foundation she liked to use. We were quite happy browsing alone, but a shop assistant approached us and was in our faces.

Assistant: “Hi, girls, found everything you’re looking for?”

Friend: “Actually, I was just wondering if you still had (inexpensive) foundation?”

Assistant: “Oh, you don’t want that. It’s moisturizing.”

Friend: “Yes, I know. I use it a lot and wanted to check if you still had it. I have very dry skin.”

Assistant: “No! You’re a teenager and you have blemishes. Moisturizer will just make your skin even greasier! Come over, I’ll show you our special range for oily skin.”

Friend: “No, it’s fine…”

The assistant literally grabbed hold of my friend’s hand and led her over to their most expensive range of foundation. [!]

Assistant: “Now these will dry out the oil on your skin and stop all those oily spots you have!”

Friend: “My skin isn’t oily. It’s actually really dry. That’s why I have these spots! I just want the foundation I always get. That’s all!”

Assistant: “But you’re a teenager! Teenagers always have greasy skin! And look at you, you’re really spotty! That’s typical teenager symptoms. You NEED to have this foundation!”

Friend: “Actually, we’ll just leave. Those are too expensive for me anyway. Thanks for the… um… help.”  She was both mad and crushed.

Assistant: “Don’t walk away from me! You’re spotty! You need this!”

Me: “Thanks, but no…”

Assistant: “Well, you teenagers should get a damned job! At least you’d be able to afford decent makeup instead of the crap you use!”

We left without buying anything. I wonder how successful her selling strategy was on other occasions.



7 comments:

Clarissa said...

In larger stores with a variety of brands they are at a counter selling on type. So she would get paid a bonus for inducing you to buy th,e one she was in charge of

Linda Kay said...

Unbelievable salesperson for sure, and how awful to say such things to your friend. I hung up on a salesperson just the other day because he kept badgering me. Irritating.

Bilbo said...

I have watched my wife utterly destroy aggressive, pushy salespeople. I can do it, too, but it generally takes me longer to get up enough of a head of steam to cut loose.

TexWisGirl said...

quite a brute!

Grand Crapaud said...

That was an awful encounter.

Mike said...

It's no wonder internet sales are doing so well.

Cloudia said...

Don't walk away, spotty!!!!!


Sounds like a sad country song.

I don;t like selling or being sold. I like helping or letting be



ALOHA from Honolulu
ComfortSpiral
<3


Just me and God watchin` Spotty grow!