Wednesday, July 18, 2012

South of the Border

While motoring towards South Carolina, I saw a surreal vista: a oversized sombrero.  My first thought was scary: somehow, that taco I had up the road was either tainted, causing me to hallucinate, or someone had slipped me a Roofie but did not know I was on my hurried way.  I pulled into that site, and found it filled with various oversized figures: a grinning Mexican type, a supersized bunny wearing antlers, an alligator kicking people, and other strangeness.  There was even a water tower with the slightly rude initials "S. O. B." on it!  I asked for medical assistance to cope with my unknown but potentially serious hallucinations, but was told that the place is always just like this.  I had blundered into South of the Border, a theme park combined with a monster tourist trap straddling the interstate just over the NC-SC line (hence South of the Border).

I soon ascertained that the natives speak a kind of English, and American currency is welcomed, but with not very favorable exchange rates. 

Being a good citizen, I went through customs.  I had no desire to spend time in a third world prison!

This place is totally bizarre, politically incorrect, and touristy in the funniest sense.  Don't forget your sense of humor when visiting.






Poor South Carolina! So far from God and so close to the urban centers of the Northeast.

-- Misattributed to Porifio Diaz.

10 comments:

Bilbo said...

We have visited "South of the Border" twice while driving south to Hilton Head. It is the only place I think I've ever seen that can match Jimmy Buffett's original Margaritaville Cafe in Key West for tackiness, although it does clearly win on Political Incorrectness. And you can't possibly miss it, as the tacky advertising signs start right around the New York state line.

Grand Crapaud said...

S.O.B. is truly legendary in its tackiness, but it makes for a nice rest stop. Don't miss it.

Big Sky Heidi said...

....the natives speak a kind of English.....

a delicious dig at the Palmetto state.

Dianne said...

is that George Lopez?

Mike said...

They have a website with lots of pictures. I'd never heard of this place before.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

It pays to advertise, especially when the location is a good day's drive from the Eastern population centers.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Aww! I figure they just speak a different dialect from Yatspeak.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Maybe his cousin.

eViL pOp TaRt said...

Thanks, I'll look into it.

Hell Hound said...

Delightful tongue in cheek.